.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rain In A Rusty Bucket

It's what makes the bucket Rusty... and by the way, if you see Rusty tell her to write.

Monday, October 11, 2004

Hand Outs

Is this about hand outs? Is this about liberals like giving out handouts? Is this about people taht want hand outs, that expect them?

I don't think so. It's not that I'm for hand outs, per se, though I am, I guess, on a case by case basis, it's that I don't think that is the fundamental issue. The way I see it both parties like handouts to their favorite recipients.

When Medicaid is prohibited from using their buying power to negotiate lower drug prices, that's not free market, that's a handout to drug companies. Yes, some people will just take handouts... they will even claim to be hard working people, better than you, they might even look down on you, and say they always give back to things they take from, but really, just take. Lots of people are assholes, basically. Does this lead one to think that there is a party of assholes, the asshole party which espouses a philosophy of assness? No. I don't think so.

My support of public infrastructure is much more self interested than wanting to see mooches mooch. It's more like... why wash the dog. The damn dog should just wash itself if it wants to be clean. No... I have to wash the dog. By washing the dog I keep the house closer to my standards than the dog's. By curing tuberculosis in the homeless... I don't run my hand along the same counter... I get a cleaner city. Does this mean the system can be gamed by clever homeless people. Yes, a bit, but really... not by anyone very creative, because if they are very creative there are better ways to go.

I worked my way through a college degree. I pay my own bills. I couldn't get a college loan in the Reagan America, and I don't ask or expect anything from other people to pull me through. I want a strong America... there are risks, one risk is getting taken advantage of by people that don't want to help America be strong but want their gimme anyway. I can shoulder that because I'm patriotic. Paying taxes is patriotic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home