.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rain In A Rusty Bucket

It's what makes the bucket Rusty... and by the way, if you see Rusty tell her to write.

Monday, December 13, 2004

If I Quote Jesus

Mother seemed to question if I should use Jesus' thoughts when I claim to be an atheist. To me there is no question... I can and should. If something were to disqualify someone from quoting Jesus, it would be how much that person has studied the words and life of Jesus. Personally, I have always taken great inspiration from Jesus' message, but not from the Churches, none of which were his, I mean His.

I understand if some Christians regret to inform me that my adoption of Jesus' message will not get me into heavan, they have a clear belief what gets one into heaven and I suppose I can accept that good works won't do it. And on that I must follow my own heart and faith where it leads me. But on quoting the teaching of Jesus it matters not if I will enter heaven, and only matters if I misquote Jesus or misinterpret the meaning of his life.

It was a life of love, peace, forgiveness, of leaving judgment to God while still fighting for what is right and refusing what is wrong. I agree on what Jesus thought constituted human progress. Jesus is a part of my heritage. I am a child of Western Civilization and I have studied it's history and it's philosophy back to Athens and beyond. I am a proud member of Western Civilization, and as Ghandi said, it is a good idea. I no more have to accept Christian Metaphysics to learn from Jesus' message than I have to adopt Plato's to learn from his. Indeed, while Newton himself was a devout Christian, rarely do people imply that I might not have right to believe or use "f=ma" unless I accept Newton's views on God as well.

1 Comments:

Blogger James said...

But you don't really care about his message, you're merely using to win an argument against someone who does.

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home