.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rain In A Rusty Bucket

It's what makes the bucket Rusty... and by the way, if you see Rusty tell her to write.

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Relationships

I've come to a realization about my philosophy. I'm relativistic.

Things have limits. Oh yes. But these limits are defined not by a little single point, but more by volume, and they are, in the end, pinned down by their relationships. Eventually, just the relationships based on particles which collide with one, then the other.

Indeed, a photon trail of reflected light is, in fact, a relationship between all the things struck, and from the photon's point of view time is stopped, and happens all at once (at least, that is the mathematical statement in Einstein's theories. So in a way, if only poetically, the photon strikes all the objects simultaneously, and connects them in spacetime.

And my point? These relationships are how one gets some readings on things. How we make a measurment. Relativity and skepticism are not about denying things exist (!) or that they can be compared. They are an explanation of in what sense and by what means things can be said to exist, and in relativity is a statement that not only can things be compared but that's all you can do, the thing in itself is considered a thing in relation.

When using relative means to figure people, it is pretty hard, impossible, to peg a person, which means to visualize and understand the limits to their volume and thereby their potential. You can limit a person in your mind, but in reality, your estimate is wrong to some degree, and in humans, it can be a huge and unlimited degree of error, because people do change.

As do relationships.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A month long vacation? What are you, European?? I hope you're happy - Cabal has gone down the tubes since you left. ;-)

9:52 AM  
Blogger Pyrrho said...

happy?

who isn't happy to know things fall apart when they leave!

actually, I'm not because that would mean I couldn't leave, and leaving is one of my favorite things from time to time.

I'm sure you exagerate.

There may have only been one post, but it was a great one.

cheers.

I'm not European except in my current vacation habits. Not gloating mind you, but I took a month last year too.

I'm a slacker.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Roberto Iza Valdés said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home